Kabob, just the name is mouthwatering! This particular kabob has always been my favorite. It is reminiscent of my childhood in Iran: the great dinner parties with family and friends, walking at nighttime in Shah Goli Park in Tabriz inhaling all the smoke and wonderful aroma of chicken kabob that would fill the air, the Haatam Restaurant in Tehran and their famous Jujeh Kabob (Chicken Kabob). So much has changed since then, but we keep up with the tradition and make this kabob here in America for our family and friends every chance we get.
The drumlets (chicken wings without the wing tips) are marinated for 24-48 hours in fresh lemon juice, onion, oil, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
My favorite vegetables to grill with this kabob are onions, green and red bell peppers, and ripe plump tomatoes. Please feel free to start your own tradition by grilling any vegetable you like. Brush or spray the vegetables with olive oil before grilling.
I decided to grill some fresh corn this time but this kabob can be served with rice, potatoes, or just some flat bread.
I removed all the corn silk before grilling. I left a few husks to prevent the corn from burning. I removed the rest of the husks gradually to get the nice grilled look. I cut the grilled corns in half and brushed them lightly with melted butter before serving.
GRILL TIME: 30 - 40 Minutes
- 20 chicken drumlets, about 3½ pounds
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- GRILLED VEGETABLES
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes, whole
- 1 Large yellow onion, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 yellow corns
- Olive oil for brushing or spraying the vegetables before grilling
- Melted butter for brushing over the grilled corns
- Peel and thinly slice a medium yellow onion. Add to the chicken.
- In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup vegetable or olive oil, ¾ tsp kosher salt and ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper. Pour over the chicken and sliced onions. Use a spatula to coat the
- Wash and pat dry the chicken drumlets with a paper towel. Place in a shallow 2-quart glass baking dish.
- drumlets with the marinade evenly. Cover and refrigerate 24-48 hours. Turn the chicken pieces once halfway through marinating.
- Bring the marinated chicken to room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Brush the grid on your outdoor grill with oil to prevent sticking.
- Preheat your grill to medium setting.
- Use metal skewers or a metal grilling basket to grill the vegetables. Brush or spray the vegetables with olive oil before grilling.
- Remove all the corn silk, but leave some of the husks on when grilling to prevent burning. Remove the husks once they start turning black and continue grilling the corns. Cut the grilled corns in half and brush with melted butter before serving.
- Remove the chicken drumlets from the marinade. Use the marinade to baste the drumlets ONLY during the first half of the grilling time.
- Grill the drumlets for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally until browned evenly and no longer pink inside in the thickest part.