This Egg and Bean salad is a perfect lunch salad that is very healthy and easy to put together. With a little planning you can have the ingredients ready in your refrigerator ahead of time and just toss them together for a quick and nutritious lunch.
The Egg and Bean Salad is loaded with protein and fiber. I have used Romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs and home cooked red beans. It also tastes great with cooked pinto beans. The hard boiled eggs and beans can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for a couple of days. All of this wholesome goodness is tossed with a refreshing simple lemon/lime vinaigrette.
When this light dressing blends with the hard boiled eggs it gets a thicker consistency with a rich taste. Serve the Egg and Bean Salad with a roll of crusty bread, and try dipping the bread in the dressing and enjoy!
- 1 medium head of Romaine lettuce (about 4 cups shredded)
- 1½ cups cooked red beans, or pinto beans (or 1½ cans, drained and rinsed)
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and cooled
- 2 TBSP finely chopped fresh parsley or other herbs (optional)
- FOR THE DRESSING
- ⅛-1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice, adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- Wash the lettuce and pat dry with a paper towel. Shred into 1-inch strips and add to a large bowl.
- Peel the cooled hard boiled eggs and slice them with a sharp knife. Add to the bowl.
- Add the cooked red or pinto beans to the bowl.
- Add the optional finely chopped fresh parsley.
- In a small bowl add the fresh lemon or lime juice, kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the bowl in a slow stream while whisking vigorously to emulsify the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat all the ingredients.
- Serve with a roll or slice of crusty bread.
Place 4 large eggs in a 1-Qt saucepan. Add enough water to cover the eggs. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat without covering the saucepan. Continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cover with a tight lid. Leave on the counter top for 30 minutes. Drain the hot water and add cold water to the eggs. Remove the eggs and let them cool completely before peeling and slicing.