How wonderful would it be if the dip that you drench your healthy vegetables with is very healthy as well? This Greek Yogurt Dip is that dream dip, a very healthy appetizer that will be a crowed pleaser at any party table!
This dip is made with non-fat Greek yogurt mixed with other fresh and very low calorie ingredients. So what if it has little bit of mayo in there, really it is only a little bit, a whopping couple of tablespoons! Considering everything else has zero fat and next to nothing calories you’re going to be making this dip over and over again and every time your family and guests will wonder what you have in there that makes it taste so rich. It is your choice to let them in on the secret, or make it your mystery, magic recipe.
Greek Yogurt Dip tastes awesome with any crudite vegetables that you can think of: Cauliflower, broccoli, celery, zucchini, cucumber, grape tomatoes, radishes, colorful sweet peppers, mushrooms; the list is endless. Another wonderful point about this dip is that you can make it ahead, way ahead, up to 3 days! The longer it sits in the fridge the better it gets. The point is that it really has to chill at least 3-4 hours for all the flavors to blend in, so I usually make it a day or two in advance and have it ready when I need it.
I have used the Aleppo Pepper (Pul Biber) that I bought from Turkey when I visited there. The Aleppo pepper is sold on line and has a smoky, mildly salty paprika/cumin flavor with moderate heat. The hint of salt is due to it being used in the process of crushing this pepper. No seed or inner flesh is crushed in this process so the result is a much milder pepper than red chili pepper, cayenne, even milder than ancho chili pepper, so if you decide you want to substitute one of these hot peppers for Pul Biber you will need to use much less.
I use firm, fat free Greek yogurt in this recipe. The mixed ingredients are chilled in the fridge for a few hours for all the flavors to blend. The dip tastes even better when chilled overnight and keeps well for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Get a large platter and pile it up with all of your favorite vegetables and serve this healthy dip on the side and enjoy!
Short chill time: 3-4 hours
Long chill time: 24 hours
Yield: About 2⅔ cups
- 2 cups firm no-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS Mayo
- 2 small cloves garlic, crushed with a garlic press, or minced fine
- 1 Persian cucumber (or ½ English cucumber), unpeeled and diced very small (about ⅔ cup)
- 1 tsp Pul Biber (Aleppo Pepper), or ⅛-1/4 tsp of a different variety ground hot pepper
- ⅛-¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 TBSP finely chopped parsley
- 2 TBSP finely chopped dill
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sumac
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- In a medium bowl stir together yogurt and mayo until well blended.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine, chill for 3-4 hours before serving it with an assortment of your favorite vegetables.
- This dip tastes even better when chilled for 24 hours.
- The Greek Yogurt Dip may be prepared up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Sumac can be purchased in most Middle Eastern or Mediterranean markets.