Shiitake Mushrooms in Wine Cream Sauce is my go to recipe when I want to serve a delicious appetizer without spending too much time prepping and cooking it. It takes only a few minutes to prepare and it is very elegant for any get together.
Shiitake mushrooms are very flavorful and add so much taste to this appetizer, but I have also made this recipe with Portobello and baby Portobello mushrooms with delicious results.
The time indicated in the recipe reflects the time required to cook the shiitakes. Since different mushrooms cook at different times, if you choose to use another type of mushroom please saute until it is tender before adding the wine.
The white wine is reduced before adding the heavy cream.
The Shiitake Mushrooms in Wine Cream Sauce is a simple and delicious appetizer that is wonderful with toasted baguette croutons. Also for a little different flavor, you can leave out the tarragon and see which one you like better. I personally am bias towards tarragon.
- One loaf baguette, sliced into ¾ inch thick pieces and toasted to golden brown on both sides.
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin with stems
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP chopped shallots
- ¼ cup dry white wine (I use the pinot grigio, but a chardonnay or any dry white wine will work)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed dried tarragon leaves (optional)
- Additional kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Wash and pat dry the mushrooms (I’m not in the "do not wash your mushrooms" group). Slice the stems and caps ⅛ inch thick
- All the sauteing for this recipe will be done over medium heat.
- Heat butter in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the chopped shallots and saute for 2 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet. Stir and saute for about 7 minutes, or until light golden brown on both sides.
- Add ¼ cup white wine and saute for another 1 minute, until it is reduced (most of the wine will be cooked off with only 1-2 TBSP liquid in the skillet).
- Add the heavy cream, crushed dried tarragon leaves, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Stir to combine and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with toasted baguette croutons.
I think I’m in a craving for mushrooms mood. I’ve revisited this recipe post several times now and I still can’t get enough of it! I must make it soon.
Persian Mama says
Thanks Maria, I know what you mean about craving mushrooms. I love mushrooms too! Let me know what you think of the recipe.