There are those days that I am in the mood for planning a leisurely dinner. I don’t even mind the time that I spend in the kitchen and I make sure the different steps that the meal requires are done right with perfect timing. Then there are those days that I’d rather be done with the preparation for the meal in one step and then have the rest of the day to do something else. This Thai chicken stew is one of those meals where most of the prepping is done right at the beginning, then you let the slow cooker do the work for you. So all you’ll have to do is add a few more ingredients at the end before serving this delicious wholesome stew over a fragrant rice.
I came across this recipe a long time ago and it has been a favorite in my family ever since. Over the years I have modified it a little bit and we love the taste as well as how easy it is to make. The ingredients come together to create the most extraordinary flavor and cook into a very creamy and delicious sauce that tastes amazing over the fragrant Jasmine rice. Also known as the Thai fragrant rice, the Jasmine rice is a long grain variety with a nutty aroma that is available in most grocery stores. I have used more water in this rice recipe to give it a sticky texture that goes very well with this stew. Since this rice cooks fairly quickly I usually prepare it an hour before the chicken is ready and keep it warm.
The chicken is sauteed a little until no longer pink on the outside
Then you add the onion, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and saute until fragrant. Then transfer it to the slow cooker.
Next you add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, except for what needs to be added at the end. Cover and cook either on Low for 8 hours, or on High for 4 hours. At the end of this time you’ll add the rest of the ingredients and cook it until the sauce thickens to the consistency of a spaghetti sauce.
Then serve the Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Stew in a bowl over fragrant Jasmine rice with some or all of these toppings: Chopped sprigs of cilantro, sliced scallions, cashews, sliced jalapeno peppers & Enjoy!
Cook Time: 4 hours on High, or 8 hours on Low
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP minced fresh ginger
- ¾ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 celery sticks, diced small or coarsely chopped in the food processor
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small, or coarsely chopped in the food processor
- One 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- INGREDIENTS TO BE ADDED LATER
- 3 TBSP rice vinegar
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- ½ cup heavy cream
- INGREDIENTS FOR RICE
- 2 cups fragrant Jasmine rice (or regular long grain rice)
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- SUGGESTED TOPPINGS
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- ½ cup cashews or peanuts
- ¼ cup julienned or thinly sliced Jalapeno peppers
- Lime wedges
- Peel and thinly slice the onions, add to a medium bowl. Peel and mince the garlic, add to the bowl. Peel and mince the fresh ginger, add to the bowl. Set aside.
- Peel and dice the carrots or coarsely chop in a food processor. Set aside.
- Dice the celery or coarsely chop in a food processor. Set aside.
- Trim all the fat from the chicken breasts and cut it into bite size cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the cubed chicken and sauté over medium high heat until slightly golden on the outside (about 3 minutes)
- Add the sliced onion, red pepper flakes and minced garlic and ginger to the skillet. Continue sautéing over medium high heat for another 3 minutes or until fragrant. Remove the chicken mixture from heat and add to the slow cooker.
- Add celery, carrot, pumpkin puree, apple cider, lime juice, salt, peanut butter and chicken stock to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low setting for 8 hours or High setting for 4 hours. All the ingredients should be very tender at this point.
- Make the rice about 45 minutes before the food is ready: Add the jasmine rice to a bowl and fill it up with cold water, stir it around with your fingertips, drain all of the water; fill the bowl with more fresh water and repeat this couple of times. Drain all the water and add the rice to a 3-Qt nonstick saucepan. Add water, oil and salt. Bring it to a boil without covering the saucepan; stir, reduce the heat to low setting, cover the saucepan and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is very tender. This rice will be sticky and perfect for this type of stew.
- Add the rice vinegar and ½ cup chopped cilantro to the slow cooker and stir to incorporate.
- In a small bowl whisk together the corn starch and heavy cream. Add to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Without covering the slow cooker, increase the heat to high and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the stew thickens.
- Serve the stew over sticky rice and add your choice of toppings.