As one of the key players in a delicious colorful Mexican feast, guacamole tastes amazing on enchiladas, nachos, burritos, and other Mexican dishes. That is not all though, a bowl of this fresh zesty guacamole signals the start of a party, just get a bowl of tortilla chips for dipping and you’re set to go. Let’s not forget about the amazing addition that guacamole can be on a juicy hamburger; if you want to make it extra special add couple of strips of crispy bacon on top and you’re in heaven. Guacamole represents festive fun no matter when you decide to make it. Stack a large platter with layers of delicious cheesy nachos loaded with Black and Red Bean Chili, or black beans and tomatoes and top it with this tangy, spicy guacamole and you have a great reason to invite people over.
I like to use serrano pepper for its intense heat and delicious flavor in this chunky guacamole that has bits of avocados and tomatoes. The amount of heat you choose to add to it depends totally on your taste.
Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh from avocados, add lemon and lime juice and mash the avocados leaving some chunks. Dice the onions and mix to combine.
Add serrano peppers, garlic and cilantro to the bowl and mix
Remove the juicy center and seeds from the tomato. Dice small and gently fold into the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 TBSP fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper powder
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, peel and crush in garlic press or mince
- 1-2 fresh serrano peppers
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 Roma tomato, remove the juicy center with seeds
- Cut the avocados in half and discard the pits. Use a large spoon to scoop out all the flesh. Add to a medium bowl.
- Add the fresh squeezed lime and lemon juice to the bowl. Mash the avocados with an avocado masher or a fork. Leave some whole bits of avocado for a chunky texture.
- Peel and dice the red onion and add to the bowl and mix.
- Mince or crush the garlic and add to the bowl
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and carefully take the seeds out. Roughly chop the peppers and add to the bowl. Immediately wash your hands with soap and avoid touching your eyes or face. Serrano peppers have a lot of heat to them. Depending on your taste use 1 or 2 peppers.
- Add salt, freshly cracked black pepper, cayenne pepper powder, and chopped fresh cilantro. Stir to combine the ingredients. Add more salt to taste.
- Cut the tomato in half and use a spoon to scoop out all the juicy center with seeds and discard. Dice the remaining flesh into small cubes.
- Fold the diced tomatoes into the rest of the ingredients. Stir very little to avoid release of too much tomato juice.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for one hour. Serve with tortilla chips or spoon over Mexican dish of your choice.
Cannot wait to try!
Persian Mama says
Thank you Lin, that sounds great! Would love to hear about it!
Just made this. It’s a great recipe. Thank you!
Thanks Chris; glad you enjoyed it 🙂